Wednesday, October 15, 2008

YOU GOT CRACKED!

When I was a freshman I was very excited to start high school. It was a chance to start clean at a new school, with new experiences. One of these new experiences was playing football. I was extremely excited to play football but I pretty much did not know anything about football. So I signed up for football and we began practice in August. Soon after school started and life began to become hectic with lots of homework, projects, tests, and quizzes. And as the season progressed football started becoming a very routine thing. Every day was very routine at football practice. We would do routes, falcon pursuit, a run through of plays, and depending on the day practice for offence or defense.
One day at practice my mind just began to wander off. I started thinking about school while the JV team was doing a run through with the varsity. And soon I started an open dialogue with some of my teammates about the day and what we had to do. I lost track of what was happening in the run through. So later into the practice when the entire team was practicing plays from the run through I was called upon to play as an Outside Linebacker. And when we started the play I soon became disoriented. My mind wandered frantically on whether I should cut through the eight hole or should I go back to the flats. Being the irrational and loquacious person I was, I neglected to hear and remember that we were supposed to be dummies and just walk it through while the offense went full speed. So I chose to run through the eight hole at full speed, which was where Mr. James Nadif who benches my weight 2 fold was supposed to run. Twenty seconds later I woke to the laughter of forty people and a migraine the size of Texas. When I think of that day I think everyone was laughing at me because they thought I got “dangled” due to my lack of strength. But I sometimes wonder if they knew I got “cracked” because of my negligence to listen to instructions.

No comments: