Monday, October 13, 2008

Unflattering Detail

Everybody has an unflattering detail about themselves, whether it is a physical trait, a quark, or a habit. And for most people this involves a long, embarrassing story to accompany it. I for example have the unflattering detail of being extremely forgetful to the point where I remember things literally at the last minute. One such story that perfectly envelopes this story is when I was in second grade.
It was the second week of school, and of course seeing that I just got back from summer vacation I was unfocused and unprepared for school. That morning I had woken up late, forgotten to bring in my homework, and I forgot to bring my lunch money. So I was in already in a depressed mood. And the day progressed at a very slow pace. By the end of the day, I was so eager to go home that I forgot about my backpack at school, which had my homework folder, hat, jacket, and sweater. My parents were already upset at me because I had a very low grade in school, and now that I forgot my backpack that made things worst. And seeing that I had to wait for my parents to pick me up from my cousins, that denied me the option of picking it up after school because the school closed around three but they picked me up at four.
So I was left with the only option of telling my parents of what happened and plead to my parents. But being a very timid little boy, I was too anxious to wait so I decided to call them. But since I was so very anxious I forgot my own house number and instead called my neighbor’s house phone. When I called no one picked up and it went straight to the answering machine. Then I just released my anxiety out pleading to my parents not to yell at me and telling them that it was an honest mistake that I forgot all my stuff.
When they arrived to pick me up, I found out that did not get the message so I explained to them what happened and gave them the same plead not to yell at me. And thankfully they understood and just gave a quick reprimand and speech about why you should not be in a hurry. So I completely forgot about the message I had left. The next day was Saturday. And it just happened to be the day of the block party. And of course when I got there I found out that I was the main topic of conversation. Thus, my forgetfulness plagued me throughout day and ended in near destruction of my self confidence.

No comments: