Wednesday, March 25, 2009

P and P #5: Ch.21-1

"You wish to think all the world respectable, and are hurt if i speak ill of any body. I only want to think you perfect, and you set yourself against it" (Austen 130).

-Here, Elizabeth is acknowledging one of Jane's faults, saying that she is to optimistic, and to often looks to find the good in others. But the irony is that Elizabeth is the exact oppisite, she is too quick to judge, and often times to judge others in a negative light: "There are few people whom I really love, and fewer of whom I think well" (131). And Elizabeth prejudice, like Jane's optimism, often time blinds her from the truth. Thus Elizabeth is just as far from the truth as Jane is.

While talking to Jane about "her belief in the inconsistency of all human characters" (131), Elizabeth says, "I have met with two instances lately: one I will not mention, the other is charlottes marriage" (131). Who is Elizabeth refering to when she says "one I will not mention" (131)?

a. Mr Collins
b. Mr Darcy
c. Mrs. Bennet
d. Ms Bingley
e. Mr Bingley

No comments: