Sunday, March 8, 2009

Huck Finn 89-129

 "When I got all wore out wid workm en wid de callin' for you, en went to sleep, my heart wuz mos' broke bekase you wuz los', en I didn' k'yer no mo' what become er me en da raf'. En when I wake up en fine you back agin' all safe en soun', de tears come en I could a got down on my knees en kiss' yo' foot I's so thankful" (98).

Here the reader is shown how close Jim and Huck are. Jim is making it very clear that Huck is very important to him. And Huck makes it clear that he also feels an attatchment to Jim: "It made me feel so mean I could almost kissed his foot to get him to take it back" (98). Thus they both share a close relationship, which is odd due to them being polar oppisites contrary to what would be considered a good friendship by their society's standards. Which makes one question what struggles they might face from both society, if they are caught, and internally from their beliefs. 

"Well, I can tell you it made me all over trembly and feverish, too, to hear him, because I begun to get it through my head that he was most free-and who was to blame for it? Why, me. I couldn't get that out of my consicience, no how nor no way. it got to troubling me so I couldn't rest; I couldn't stay still in one place" (Twain 100).

Here the reader is exposed to the turmoil that Huck is beginning to face on his journey. The quote expresses his conscience making him contempt for not ratting Jim out. Yet, only a few pages before he was expressing compassion for him: "It was fifteen minutes before I could work myself up to go and humble myself to a nigger-but I done it, and I warn't ever sorry for it afterwards, neigher. I didn;t do him no more mean tricks, and I would done that one if I'd a knowed it would make him feel that way" (98). Thus Huck is split between what his heart tells him is right and what he is taught is right, forcing him to choose between either his heart or society. And it is likely he will face other situations like this where he is forced to choose between what society tells and what he believes to be right.


Vocab:
Bushels: A United States dry measure equal to 4 pecks or 2152.42 cubic inches
"And warnt the cooking good, and just bushels of it too" (116).

Junketings: Taking an excursion for pleasure
"And have such junketings round about and on the river" (118).


No comments: