Sunday, March 1, 2009

Huck Finn 1: 9-27

Quotations:
"So I went to him that night and told him papa was here again, for I found his tracks in the snow" (26).

- The reader is exposed to a boy that is trully wiser than his age would suggest. We see that when it comes to street sense, specifically pertaining to survival, Huckleberry is clearly prepared suggesting that his prior experience with his father was very abusive. Yet we see that there is still  has that child like mentality: "We played robber now and then about a month, and then I resigned. All the boys did. We hadn't robbed nobody, we hadn't killed any people, but only just pretended" (20). Thus the reader can expect later on in the book that he will respond to different situations with a maturity regarding survival but at the same time be dictated by his child like attitude leading to the two conflicting with each other when he tries to make decision.

"She told to pray every day, and whatever I asked for I would get it. But it warn't so. I tried it. once I got a fish-line, but no hooks. I warn't anygood to me without hooks. I tried for the hooks three or four times, but somehow I couldn't make it work" (19).

-Here we see Hucklebee's child like mentality. For all his maturity he still has the curiousity of any normal child, who at the same time thinks like a child. An example of this is when he quickly denounces prayer after he sees nothing to gain from it: "so at last I reckoned I wouldn't worry about it any more, but just let it go" (19). This child like thinking will play role in how he chooses to live his life, at same time as his mature, survival instincts do.


Vocab:
Ambuscade: The act of concealing yourself and lying in wait to attack by surprise
"So I was on hand next day, Saturday, in the ambuscade" (21).

Betwixt: In the interval
"So he set down on the ground bewict me and Tom" (13).

No comments: