Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dear John Proctor,

You astonish me John Proctor. Why would you give yourself to hang? It was not worth it. My spirit ached as I saw you mount the gallows. I had signed 17 death warrants and you became the 18th. What profits you to bleed?

 I respect you for your bravery against the treacherous Danforth and wicked Abigail, but you should not have given to your pride, your vanity. God's most precious gift is life, and yet you squander it out of pride, a vice that had blinded the village. Nothing justifies the taking of it, however glorious the reason. God damns a deceitful person less than a prideful person that throws his life a way for vanity. I pray to God that God takes a kind heart to you.

I wish that you chose life over vanity, because I count myself your murderer. I count myself as the man tying the noose around your neck. And I resent that image. Do you understand me? That day as I came to do the devils work, and get christians to lie, I prayed and pleaded to God that you would lie. But now your body is lifeless in the ground and your spirit in a new court of the divine. And I pray that this judge is more caring and forgiving then the judges of this world.

Sincerely,
Hale

No comments: