Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Homework 3 (Elizabeth to John)

Dear John,

I miss you so much. It has been two years past since that day you found goodness and God. The house seems half empty without you. The boys are well, yet I fear that the lack of your presence hurts them greatly. And the child that I carried before your death has grown older and stronger. I only wish you could see our child. I often think of how I will answer the child's questions about you. Shall tell stories of your goodness and your failure to see it, or should I talk about how you made one mistake and paid for it with your life. I know for sure that I will only have good things to mention about you to our child. And though your presence is missed by your family, the absence of your presence is missed by the village as well.

The lost of your presence has had a profound effect on the village. The village has gone up in an uproar. The village is greatly divided by those who defy the courts and those who support it. The division has grown to such an extent that they decided to eject Mr. Parris from office. He left the village and has not been heard from since. Reverend Hale still drops by from time to time, and we pray for the well being of you and all those afflicted by the trials. His hate for the theocracy still grows to this day, though the theocracy has begun to fall apart.

I fear to mention this but I know I must. I have met another man. He is a gentleman. He often times reminds me of you. I hope to not make the mistake of counting myself so plain, so poorly made, that no honest love will come to me. I hope this time to keep a warm house. And though I am moving on, know that I will always keep you in my heart and pray for you.

Love,
Elizabeth

No comments: