Thursday, November 13, 2008

crucible homework page 68-83

Quote 1: Conjures me? Why, no, sir, I am entirely myself, I think. Let you ask Susanna Walcott- she saw me sewin' it in court. OR BETTER STILL: Ask Abby, Abby sat beside me when I made it" -Mary Warren (page 76)

Explanation: In the quote above, Mary Warren is listing people that can testify to her making the poppet in which is said to have been used by Elizabeth as a weapon against Abigail. But right in the quote it is made clear that Abigail is quite aware of Mary Warren's creating of the poppet and most likely the placement of the needle in which she said she was stabbed. A hole is made in Abigail's accusation but only Proctor and Elizabeth are aware of this due to them being one of the few who now the crucial grudges held between Abigail and Elizabeth.

Question:
How can this be used to support John Proctor's case in court that Abigail is being deceitful about her accusations of witch craft?

Quote 2:
"If she is innocent! Why do you never wonder if Parris be innocent, or Abigail? I s the accuser always holy now? Were they born this morning as clean as God's fingers? I'll tell you what's walking Salem- vengeance is walking Salem. are what we always were in Salem, but now the little crazy children are jangling the keys of the kingdom, and common vengeance writes the law! This warrant's vengeance! I'll not give my wife to vengeance!" -Proctor (page 77)

Explanation: John Proctor, in the quote above, is acknowledging the fact that for the past week those that have actually been accusing people (aka Abigail) have been considered to be truthful in their accusations and that their word is fact. While those accused are given choice of admiting to the witchcraft or death. And with this benefit of complete trust in the accusers, the accusers are given the power to decide the fate of a person, death or infamy. And in the case of Abigail, vengence.

Question: Why does everyone in the village give their full trust to these accusations, even though they lack the proper evidence to support them?

No comments: