Wednesday, November 12, 2008

crucible homework page 49-67

Quote 1: "I'm- I am an official of the court, they say... I'll not stand whipping any more! They Devil's loose in Salem Mr, Proctor; we must discover where he's hiding" -Mary Warren (page 59).

Explanation: In the quote above Mary Warren makes her rising importance and her so called duty to help find the devil known to the Proctors. But in all reality we see that she as Abigail is doing, is taking advantage of the situation by using it as a means to gain importance in the village by using the devil as a tool to either whiten or blacken people.

Question: What does Mary Warren have to gain from her rising status as an "official?"

Quote 2: "I am a stranger here, as you know. And in my ignorance I find it hard to draw a clear opinion of them that come accused before the court. And so this afternoon, and now tonight, I go from house to house" -Hale (page 63-64).

Explanation: Here we see that Reverend Hale, here is also a person seeking to find the devil as does Mary Warren. In the quote above, we see that Reverend Hale has a sincere desire to find the devil by going house to house to make sure those convicted are real witches.

Question: What is the difference between Reverend Hale and Mary Warren and their call to hunt out the devil an his worshipers?

No comments: