Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The o so Rhetorical Darcy




Ethos

"You have said quite enough, madam. I perfectly comprehend your feelings, and hove now only to be ashamed of what my own have been. Forgive me for having taken up so much of your time, and accept my best wishes for your health and happiness."

Logos

"And this is your opinion of me! This the estimation in which hold me! I thank you for explaining it so fully. My faults, according to this calculation, are heavy indeed! But perhapsthese offenses might have been over looked, had not your pride been hurt by my honest confession of the scruples that had long prevented my forming any serious design. These bitter accusations might have been suppressed, had I with greater policy concealed my stuggles, and flattered you into the belief of my being impelled by unqulified, unalloyed inclination; by reason, by reflection, by everything. But disguise of every shot is my abhorrence. Nor am I ashamed of the feeling I related. They were natural and just. Could you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your connections? To congratulate myself on the hope of relations whose condition in life is so decidedly beneath my own?"

Pathos

"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

No comments: